New to the Dallas apartment scene? Deciding on a new place to live can be overwhelming – especially when you’re faced with signing a long-term lease. It can be helpful to know what questions to ask going in, before you make a decision, so you don’t end up locked into a contract you’re unhappy with. Luckily, our decades of experience as Dallas apartment locators have taught us exactly what things to look for and ask when touring an apartment. Here are a few of the main questions we recommend asking the landlord or property manager when considering an apartment.
- How much is the rent?
- Is there an application fee?
- How much is the security deposit? Is it refundable?
- Will I be required to obtain renters insurance?
- Which, if any, utilities are included in my rent (i.e. water, gas, cable, trash, etc.)?
- What other, if any, additional deposits, fees, or charges should I be aware of (i.e. pet deposit, usage fee for fitness center, etc.)
- How long is the lease?
- What happens if I need to break the lease?
- Is rent negotiable?
- Are there currently any special offers or discounts available on the apartment?
- Are pets allowed?
- Is there a guest policy and, if so, what does it entail?
- What, if any, changes will I be allowed to make to the inside of the apartment (i.e. painting walls, hanging photos, replacing light fixtures, etc.)?
- Are window treatments included?
- Can I add a roommate after the fact?
- Is smoking allowed in the building or on the premises?
- Who should I call if I have any issues?
- How and when can I access the facilities (i.e. pool, fitness center, laundry room, etc.)?
- Is there parking available and, if so, is there a fee or permit required?
- Where is the nearest public transit?
- Is 24-hour emergency maintenance available and, if so, how are requests made?
- What security measures — including fire and carbon monoxide detectors — are deployed throughout the building/complex?
In addition to these basic questions, you may have specific questions that relate to your own personal needs or preferences. We strongly recommend writing a list of these questions so you don’t forget anything. The nice thing about working with an apartment locater service like ours is that most, if not all of these questions can be answered up front by our team. This will save you time and aggravation.
Finding the perfect Dallas apartment isn’t something that should be taken lightly. Don’t leave anything to chance. Asking the right questions will allow you to make a much more informed decision and avoid any unpleasant surprises down the road.
Ready to take the plunge and start your Dallas apartment search? Our experts can answer all your questions and match you with the perfect place. Get in touch today!